Friday, October 9, 2009

Beginning Sewing Class with Betsy

When I was 12, my mom sat me down in front of her old Singer, housed in the big walnut cabinet, and showed me how to sew. It was a little frustrating at first, trying to get that bobbin in the case, and my stitches wobbled and clumped and they zigged when they should have zagged. But before too long I got the hang of it and how I fell in love!


I remember flipping the pages in the pattern books and finding the perfect one (it was “koolots” with a zipper down the front! Wow! So very “in”!) and of course, bright striped fabric! I was so very proud of my new garment and turned many heads in my 7th grade class! Hundreds of patterns later, I am very glad my mom took the time to teach me. I can’t remember the last time I bought curtains… I have always thought “Oh I can make that!” In fact, I am in the middle of a set of curtains this week! Before that project it was an arm chair that needed freshening up with a slip cover and some new pillows for my daughter’s bed. So fast and simple to make! My teenage daughter has also caught the sewing bug, her last project being a very elaborate anime character costume with a flared skirt and wings, all her own sewing creations.

When I am at the store, I often hear “I don’t even know how to thread a machine.” or “I always wished I could at least sew a pillow.” or “I don’t know a thing about sewing but I’d love to make something!” So many women have walked through the store and looked longingly at cute patterns, cool purse projects, baby blankets, only to shrug and walk away, mumbling sad phrases such as these.

So why not help them out and start some beginning sewing classes! The class runs from 6 to 8 pm each Thursday, here at the shop. We will be making items such as pillowcases, some cute jammie bottoms and ever so stylish aprons. It will be lots of fun! -Betsy

1 comment:

  1. The beginners sewing class with Betsy was truly what I needed to build my confidence and start on the path to becoming a real seamstress! I learned how to read patterns, sew pleats, and took home some really cute things! Not to mention, it was a lot of fun meeting others that had my same interests. Betsy was very patient and kind and took her time to teach the individuals in the class. Thank you to all of you at Texas Quilt Works!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors